The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts is now accepting entries for the Annual Awards of Excellence 2018. Applicants must currently be working full-time in the UK as a Chef, Pastry Chef or Waiter and should be aged between 20 and 26 on 31st December 2017.
The AAE is the most prestigious award available to young professionals in the hospitality industry today, recognising and encouraging the most talented ambitious Chefs, Pastry Chefs and Waiters. Since it began in 1983 over 550 young professionals have won the Award, providing opportunities for a successful career path.
The AAE is an examination rather than a competition; all or none of the candidates can achieve the award depending on their ability to attain the standard of excellence set by the judges. All those who successfully reach this standard will win the AAE. In addition the winning candidate who scores the highest marks in each section will be named the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Young Chef, Young Pastry Chef and Young Waiter of the Year 2018.
How to enter
Enter via the website
For more information please contact
Daniel Moriss-Jeffery at the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts
Tel: 020 8673 6300 / E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: WEDNESDAY 31st JANUARY 2018
Selection is based on written entries. Successful candidates will go forward to regional quarter-finals semi-finals in February and Semi-finals March/April and finals in May/June 2017 where they will be tested on a wide range of skills.
- All Finalists will be presented with a certificate and bottle of Laurent-Perrier Champagne at the National finals in May/June.
- All winners will be invited to a Gala Presentation Dinner in July 2018 where they will receive a chefs jacket or lapel pin, a diploma recognising their achievement and a magnum of Laurent-Perrier Champagne.
- All winners of the AAE become Alumni of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts.
- The highest scoring winner in each section (Kitchen, Pastry and Service) will be announced at the Gala Presentation Dinner where they will be named the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts Young Chef, Young Pastry Chef and Young Waiter of the Year 2018. Each will each receive prizes worth over £2000, including MAC knives thanks to Continental Chef Supplies, Meyer cookware, a specially commissioned engraved Silver trophy, work experience at The Fat Duck and a bursary from the Savoy Educational Trust which will take the form of an educational trip. Past trips include visits to New Orleans, Dubai, Mexico, Champagne, Tuscany, Barbados, St Lucia, Los Angeles, Hong Kong & Shanghai, and Quebec.
The Royal Academy of Culinary Arts is immensely grateful to the sponsors of the AAE 2018:ACT Clean; Berkmann Wine Cellars (product); Evolve Hospitality Recruitment; Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers; Champagne Laurent-Perrier; Maldon Crystal Salt Company; L’Unico Caffe Musetti; Savoy Educational Trust (Scholarship); Speyside Glenlivet (product); Wedgwood; Woods Foodservice; The Caterer (Media Partner).
- Service Quarter-Final London – Saturday 17th February, The Langham
- Service Quarter-Final Scotland – Monday 19th February, Gleneagles
- Service Semi-Final London – Saturday 17th March, The Ritz
- Service Semi-Final Scotland – Monday 19th March, Trump Turnberry
- Kitchen Semi-Final Regional – Wednesday 11th April, University of West London, Westminster Kingsway College, University College Birmingham
- Pastry Semi-Final Birmingham – Wednesday 11th April, University College Birmingham
- Service Final London – May, Venue TBC
- Service Final Scotland – Saturday 19st May, Gleneagles
- Kitchen Final London – Wednesday 6th June, University of West London or Westminster Kingsway College
- Pastry Final Birmingham – Tuesday: 19th June, University College Birmingham